Teeth bleaching has been shown to be an effective and lasting treatment for stained teeth time and again. With the right treatment protocols, some patients even report white teeth lasting for a year or more. But regardless of which tooth bleaching treatment you get, here are some things to know if you want to maximize the effectiveness of the treatment.
Tooth bleaching, especially at higher concentrations of bleaching agent, can leave your enamel slightly softened and porous for several hours after treatment. As a result it’s normal to feel some tooth sensitivity after whitening treatment.
The softening also means that the teeth are more susceptible to staining due to their porous nature. This means that you shouldn’t eat or drink anything staining for the first several hours after the procedure. The general rule is that if it can stain a white shirt it can stain teeth. This period after treatment is critical for longer lasting results so be particularly careful about avoiding foods that can stain.
Although it’s only the hours after treatment that require strict avoidance of staining foods, drinks, or mouthwash, it’s best to avoid consuming staining foods on a regular basis in order to maximize the effectiveness of the treatment.
If you’re interested in whitening treatments, don’t hesitate to give us a call and we’d be happy to guide you through your treatment and post-treatment care.